In the late 17th century, Quakerism was quite strong in the Uttoxeter area, where it is recorded that some 20 families were attending meetings in private dwelling houses. The Uttoxeter Meeting House was build in 1706, but following a general decline in numbers in the 19th century the Meeting declined to just three Quaker families by 1812, but survived for another 75 years before the Meeting House was closed and subsequently leased to various individuals. In the early 18th century, a new group was established in the Burton area but by the middle of the century it had ceased to exist. However, The Uttoxeter Meeting House reopened in 1922 and has remained so ever since. In 1926 a meeting was re-established in Burton, and an old brewery office was converted to a Meeting House, but in 1975 it was sold and the Burton Friends were united with the Uttoxeter Meeting. Although Burton Friends are still part of the Uttoxeter Meeting, they now hold occasional Meetings for Worship in Burton.
To read a touching story of how Quakers in Stafford and Uttoxeter were saved from a brutal gaoler click here
The Meeting House and Annex from the rear garden and the entrance to the Meeting House
Inside the Meeting House and inside the Annex
Meetings for Worship
Every Sunday at Uttoxeter Meeting House from 10.45 am to 11.45 am
Meetings are followed by tea /coffee and biscuits
None at present. However, children are welcome to attend, but we would appreciate prior warning so that we can make proper arrangements for them.
Enquiries (including hire of rooms)
The Friends’ Meeting House, 39 Carter Street, Uttoxeter ST14 8EY. There is limited parking in Carter Street, and ample parking in the town’s car parks, just a 5 minute walk away.